Yoga: Union of Body and Mind

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 0 comments
Ever since being introduced to Yoga during my internship in Spain, I fell in love with it. I was aware of yoga's growing popularity, but I always thought it too slow and chose to stay away from it. During my six months of working in a Wellness Clinic I was exposed to the Macrobiotic diet, and the clinic's belief in the healing benefits of Eastern medicine and practices. They offered classes in tai chi, yoga and pilates. As an employee I had the pleasure of attending yoga classes taught by a woman who had clearly been practicing it for years. She was infinitely patient and inspiring in her serenity (....except for that one time I saw her screaming at the delivery truck for blocking her from her car). The first thing she taught us was the meaning of yoga; Union. Union of body and mind.


So yoga does not merely focus on the body's movements and stillness, it ventures into the mind and exercises its control on every inch of the body. Another meaning to yoga is a state of mind in which we become so engrossed and joined to the object of interest that we set aside our personal identity. A state during which our perception becomes completely clear.



By stretching and probing all your muscles through the various fluid (or not so fluid just yet...) motions, you start to wake up your dormant self. It feels great, you slowly feel yourself come alive!

Anyway, check out Tara Stiles, she's great.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©Copyright 2011 L&R | TNB